Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Reading Diary B: Lang's European Fairy Tales

Lang's European Fairy Tales


Puss in Boots Part 1 and Part 2

(Puss in Boots)
I really enjoyed this story. Part of the reason I liked it so much may have been my familiarity with the character Puss in Boots. This was a two page story, so I included links to the first and second page. Puss in Boots is also known as the Master Cat and Monsieur Puss, and he is very smart and clever. There is no doubt that Lord Marquis of Carabas needs the Cat, but I would argue that the Cat does not need Lord Marquis of Carabas. Monsieur Puss does everything for Lord Marquis, even devising a plan to have the princess fall for him. I thought it was funny how the Master Cat the cat could intimidate and scare countrymen and reapers with his threats. After all, he is only a cat. The way he conquers the ogre is very clever. The ogre can transform into any animal and Puss convinces him to transform into a mouse because he does not believe he can. Falling for his trick, the ogre changes into a mouse and Puss eats him whole.

How the Dragon was Tricked Part 1 and Part 2

This story was another one of my favorite in this unit. Stories about tricksters are always entertaining, especially when the trickster gets away with everything. This was also a two page story, so I included links to the first and second page. The main character in this story is a cunning young man. Although his actions are terrible at times, I could not help but root for him throughout the story. I am not sure what exactly it was that made me want to root for him, but maybe it was how he did everything he did. He persuades and tricks everything and everyone he encounters, even a dragon. Overall, I found this story to be extremely entertaining.






1 comment:

  1. I had absolutely no idea the Puss in Boots character originated from a story! (Although, I should have considering every character in Shrek comes from some sort of fairy tale or legend). I just had never heard of the story before! I didn't even see Lang's stories as an option, but the stories certainly seem very interesting!

    ReplyDelete