Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Gen. Ed. Review

Gen. Ed. Experience


Overall, I would say that I have had a positive experience with my gen. ed. courses. I think they have been an important part of my education because they have exposed me to many different areas and broadened my thinking. My math and science general education has been extremely important because it laid the foundation for my future courses. Humanities have been a great experience and have taught me a lot of cool things. Just being exposed to different cultures has made me a more well rounded student and person in general. The humanities courses I have taken, along with others have stimulated a lot of thought about various subjects. I actually took an upper division Political Science course called Immigration Politics because I thought it covered the requirement that I am taking this class for. Even though it did not count for anything gen. ed. requirement wise, it was one of my favorite courses throughout college and gave me the opportunity to take this class, which is another one of my favorites. The discourse in that class was great and exposed me to many other beliefs, of which I am very thankful for. My least favorite part about gen. ed. courses was probably the math. I will absolutely not miss having to teach myself an entire course. Some teachers do not speak very clear and it makes it difficult to learn. Some may just not be good teachers in general. They may be good researchers and be experts on the subject, but that does not mean that they can effectively teach it to others. Of course this is not limited to just math courses. Also, the fact that people can have different difficulty of the same class based on the teacher you have bothers me immensely. The reason this bothers me so much is that students are evaluated based on grade point average when trying to get an internship or enter the workforce. Course material, exams, teachers, grade distributions, etc. all vary from teacher to teacher and from year to year, so it is kind of like comparing apples to oranges when comparing two students based on g.p.a. At the same time I understand that there really are not many other options, in terms of evaluating students. I  a think good way could be to standardize all assignments, exams, and curricula for a specific class, regardless of professor. The professors could get together and decide on what to do specifically. They could teach it however they wanted, but every student taking that class would be examined the same, independent on professor. On the other hand, I have had many wonderful teachers throughout my general education. The number of awesome professors that I have had far outnumber the poor ones. My favorite part about my Gen. Ed. education have been the awesome professors that I have had.

(Yoda Meme)

1 comment:

  1. You really do have some great pictures to go along with your blog posts this week! I'm glad that you've had an overall good experience with Gen. Ed. classes here at OU. I, too, have had a pretty positive experience overall. Every class I took definitely taught me something I didn't know, and also some things that weren't expected. I personally liked my math courses, but I absolutely did not enjoy science.

    ReplyDelete