Friday, April 24, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Dante's Inferno

Dante's Inferno


Gate of Hell and Charon

All of these stories are dark and creepy, and this one is no different. The poor angels kicked out of heaven for being faithful to themselves rather than God moan very loudly because they are not allowed into Hell. Charon is a scary demon and is described very well throughout this story as well as in Limbo. I am pretty sure that Charon is also referenced in the stories of Greek Mythology too. 

Limbo

Limbo is exactly what I would have expected it to be. Which is basically a place of nothingness. The saddest part about Limbo is that all people who do not follow Christianity or are not baptized are sent to it. Even before the time of Christianity, people were sent to Limbo instead of heaven. I do not think that is very fair, considering that they did not know what to believe in and had never heard of Christianity before. Some prominent people have been lucky enough to be taken from there, however.

Fallen Angels

This story is creepy as well. I picture fallen angels to be giant and scary. I can only imagine their anger after being banished from Heaven. I thought this story was very interesting though and shows Dante's fear of being lost in Deep Hell while he is still alive. Lucky for him however, he has Virgil who is watching out for him and promises to never leave him in Hell. If I were Dante, I would be terrified the entire time. Hell is one of those places that I never want to experience, alive or not. He truly is brave for doing so while alive and not forced there after death. 

1 comment:

  1. I was actually wanting to read Dante's Inferno for my reading this week, but I just didn't quite have time to read all of the stories. It definitely sounds (based on your brief little synopsis in the reading diary) like it was a very interesting/creepy book! I can only imagine if you're talking about each realm or level of hell that it most definitely would be!

    ReplyDelete